Learn your way around your camera and develop your basic photography skills! This beginner photography class will help you build the confidence, shoot efficiently and begin to take the photographs you have always imagined.
As a beginner, photography and managing your camera settings can seem overwhelming. This course provides the perfect pace to start your photography explorations. Learn what white balance, ISO, aperture and depth of field mean. Learn why filters are relevant to digital photography. How to expose an image properly and how to make the camera do what you want it to do. Take your photography to the next level. Get off Auto mode and take control of your camera!
EQUIPMENT AND PREREQUISITES
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Your camera’s instruction manual
- For the practical component please ensure suitable clothing for the weather
- Sturdy enclosed footwear
- Laptop (optional)
- Introduction to the DSLR and how to hold it correctly
- Main buttons – meanings and uses
- Basic do’s and don’ts
- Camera security and care
- Understanding image size and quality
- Pixels and their relevance
- How an image is captured by the camera
- AF and MF – pros and cons
- Depth of Field and what it means for your photographs
- Image file formats – why and how we use them
- ISO – how and when to use different levels of sensitivity
- White balance
- Filters and their uses
- Tripods and monopods
- The beauty of editing with only minor adjustments
Practical and Post-Production
- Practical lesson outdoors
- Image file storage
- Critique of your top photos and constructive feedback
- Open discussion – this is your chance to find out what changes (if any) need to be made to get the outcome you envisioned.
We reserve the right to alter or cancel any workshop at any time. Sometimes for reasons including, but not limited to, too few participants, adverse weather, instructor illness, logistical problems or any other circumstances, which may make operation of the workshop inadvisable. If any workshop has to be cancelled by us, then all fees are refunded in full or you may choose another date or workshop.